Declare his glory among the nations,
his marvelous works among all the peoples!
Psalm 96:3
a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.
Colossians 3:11
The major people group in D. are known as the O. people. Again, the actual name of the people group has been changed for safety reasons. Please contact me if you have questions. The O. people speak their own language and are primarily Muslim. The O. village in D. ranges in population of about 300 to 3,000 people. The reason for the wide range is because the people are semi-nomadic. They follow the coming-and-goings of the animals, which are usually based on the rain patterns and water sources.
O. children in D.
Most O. women get married as teenagers, around 15-18 years old. When a woman gets married, she, with the help of the community, builds a new hut for her future family. She leaves her father's house to take care of her husband who, in return, is supposed to provide for her. Once married, women begin to have children. It would be perfectly normal for an O. woman my age to be married with two children. I can barely cook a meal for myself during midterms; it's hard for me to imagine being responsible for an entire family at my age.
An O. woman at work
Kenya is predominantly Christian, but the O. people are primarily Muslim. For those that convert to Christianity, they can experience trials and suffering. Families disown, neighbors slander, and the community ostracizes. Yet people still choose to follow Jesus in the face of such persecution. I know it can only be the work of the Holy Spirit in them that allows them to stand firm in faith.
While I can share what I know of the O. people and culture, I have never experienced it for myself. Please pray that I would quickly pick up the O. language and that words would not be a barrier to communicating God's love. Even though we may look and act differently, we can be one body in Jesus Christ. I pray that I would be observant to the culture and live in ways that bring the Gospel message to people. Please be praying that the Holy Spirit be strengthening and encouraging the O. Christians who experience persecution for His name's sake.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment